New and Old Fruit in "Nueva Grenada" (El Salvador Missions Report: Wednesday)



Wednesday, July 9th, 2014

I don't know how it happened. One day I'm preaching full-on, laughing and serving in Montrial, filling up on Chinese food for dinner and the next day I'm sick in bed, stuck in the hotel and severely dehydrated. As a team, we are aware of the cardinal rules: don't drink the water...wear sunscreen...don't share water...be flexible...don't brush your teeth in the water...don't go anywhere alone...and, oh yeah, DON'T DRINK THE WATER. But then you also have to be wary of local cuisine preparation techniques and consumable vegetation. Nevertheless, sometimes, despite our best efforts, we come into contact with certain "cooties" that our system just isn't prepared to defend against. So there I was, physically drained (in more ways than one, I assure you) and bummed that my team had to go on to Nueva Grenada ("New Fruit") without me. I was frustrated. I was exhausted. I was concerned that my absence would strain our team. But above all, I was just plain prideful...

Yep, that's right - I had somehow gotten it into my head this week that the Lord "needed" me to accomplish His will in El Salvador. Perhaps my brief illness was a much-needed lesson in humility. Maybe it was the challenge others needed to step up to the plate, share their testimonies, and fill in the gaps. That was certainly the case for my bride, Brittany. Ordinarily, she is quite content to serve in the background although she is no stranger to leadership and supervisory responsibilities. But because I was unable, she stepped up to the plate. Our team leader, Jonathan and Pastor Ed (our in-country advisor and Salvadorian missionary) called to check on me early on Wednesday afternoon. Weak and falling out of the hotel bed (quite literally), I managed to stumble to the front desk. At that very moment, Brittany was sharing her testimony to dozens of people in Nueva Grenada. Suddenly, I began feeling better and when she came to the phone she said, "You would've been proud of me, HunnyBear" - she was right, I am :)

But the lesson that I needed to relearn yet again was simple: "It's not about me...It's ALL ABOUT JESUS." Sure, I missed seeing some of my friends and it was great to know they asked about our family. But when our students at Ramoth and my fellow team members become willing to share their stories of faith so that unbelievers may have the opportunity to follow Jesus, we will move mountains to see that they take that chance. Hundreds of people in that widespread area came for medical and dental treatments, clothing, eyeglasses, food, and more. I don't know how many made professions of faith but we know that countless seeds were planted. But perhaps the most inspiring number we learned about Friends of Israel Biblical Tabernacle Baptist Church in Nueva Grenada was "seis" (6). That's the number of people who heard the Gospel during our November mission trip to that area and have since become active members who are currently serving in the church - Praise the Lord!  

On Thursday, I was back in the saddle and ready for a new day but grateful for what God had been doing despite one person's absence. We all must be ready "in season and out of season" to preach the Gospel and as a pastor, I have to strive to do the work of an evangelist. But some days will be uncomfortable - we can redeem even our "sick days" in ministry and be challenged to be stretched by the Lord and trust in His sovereignty. I pray this message finds you busy in Kingdom-building work and redeeming your day wherever you may be. But I also hope it is an encouragement to you to say "Jesus must increase; I must decrease" as well as the fact that we need each other in the Body of Christ to accomplish all that God has planned. Continue praying for our team especially as we wind down our first week, say goodbye to student team members, and welcome new missionaries. Pastor Chuck, I'm turning the preaching over to you, my friend - I can't wait to hear how the Lord uses you in mighty ways this week, brother!  

Until the Whole World Hears,
S.S.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Church: 240 Years Later...

NOAH: Cutting through the Controversy

El Salvador: Monday Mission to "Montrial"